This live blog follows the latest developments across the Middle East crisis, including regional diplomacy, maritime security, ceasefire negotiations, and economic fallout.


Catch up on Tuesday's top developments here:

  • Trump says no talks taking place or planned with Iran
  • Iran says US failed to achieve war objectives
  • Ghalibaf says Hormuz to remain closed until US meets Islamabad MoU commitments 
  • Erdogan stresses continued support for lasting regional peace in call with Trump
  • UAE says air defenses detect two ballistic missiles launched from Iran


Turkey rejects Israeli claims after strike on Syria air base

Published: Aug 19, 2026 | 00:58 GMT | by AFP


Turkey rejected Israeli allegations that it posed a threat by preparing to send troops to a base in Syria, which was hit in a strike that the United States blamed on Israel.


"The frivolous allegations put forward by the Israeli Prime Minister's office aim to legitimize Israel's unlawful airstrikes targeting Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity," Turkey's Communications Directorate said in a statement quoted by the Anadolu state news agency.




Tuesday’s important developments at a glance

Published: Aug 19, 2026 | 00:00 GMT | by Web Desk


On Tuesday, US President Donald Trump said that no US talks with Iran are under way or planned and insisted the blockade of its ports remains in force, adding that “Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated."

Contrary to US president’s comment, Iran's top negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said that the strategic Strait of Hormuz will not be opened until the United States meets Tehran's demands, including lifting a naval blockade.

Separately, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said that the US initially wanted Tehran to “unconditionally surrender,” and then changed its objectives to “regime change, partition, internal unrest,” but failed every single time.

He added that the perception that Iran was a weak country had been completely dispelled, arguing that Tehran’s post-war foreign policy will be fundamentally different from the period before the conflict.

Meanwhile, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) Ministry of Defense announced that the air defense systems detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran towards the country. The first fell outside the country's territorial waters, while the second fell within its territorial waters.

In response, Iran’s Foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei "categorically rejected the United Arab Emirates' claim that Iran had launched a missile toward that country," calling it harmful to regional trust and security efforts.



For earlier developments, read our Aug 18 live blog here.