This live blog follows the latest developments across the Middle East crisis, including regional diplomacy, maritime security, ceasefire negotiations, and economic fallout.


Catch up: Yesterday’s top developments



Lebanese president tells Trump state will assume responsibility for implementing Israel agreement

Published: June 27, 2026 | 21:24 GMT | by AFP


Lebanon's president Joseph Aoun told his US counterpart Donald Trump on Saturday that the Lebanese state will assume responsibility for implementing a recent agreement reached with Israel, his office said.


Aoun "said the Lebanese state would assume its responsibilities in implementing the framework agreement and expressed hope that the United States would help prevent any violations of the deal and ensure that all commitments are fulfilled, notably by pressuring Israel to withdraw from the areas it occupies in southern Lebanon to facilitate the deployment of the Lebanese army up to the international border," Aoun's office said in a statement.


At the end of the call, Trump said he looked forward to meeting Aoun in Washington soon, the statement said.




US launches fresh strikes on Iranian military targets, says CENTCOM

Published: June 27, 2026 | 21:00 GMT | by Web Desk


The United States said its military carried out additional strikes against multiple Iranian military targets on Saturday after accusing Tehran of attacking another commercial oil tanker near the Strait of Hormuz.


According to the US Central Command (CENTCOM), the latest strikes were ordered after an Iranian one-way attack drone struck the Panama-flagged tanker M/T Kiku early Saturday as it transited the strategic waterway carrying more than two million barrels of crude oil. Washington said Iran had been allowed to honor a ceasefire following earlier US strikes, but instead launched the latest attack.


CENTCOM said US military aircraft targeted Iranian military surveillance infrastructure, communication systems, air defense sites, drone storage facilities and minelayer capabilities in response to what it described as continued Iranian aggression against commercial shipping.


The U.S. military said commercial vessel traffic through the Strait of Hormuz continued and that its forces remained "vigilant, lethal, and ready." Iran had not immediately commented on the U.S. claims or the reported strikes.




France says ready to help implement Lebanon-Israel deal

Published: June 27, 2026 | 20:34 GMT | by AFP


France says it is “ready to contribute” to the framework agreement signed the day before by Lebanon and Israel, adding it should pave the way for the full restoration of Lebanese sovereignty, AFP reports.


“Committed to the security of Israel as well as that of Lebanon and engaged in maintaining peace in South Lebanon, France stands ready to contribute to the implementation of this framework agreement, and to the achievement of all these objectives,” the French foreign ministry says in a statement.


It adds that the agreement must pave the way for the full restoration of Lebanese sovereignty and backs the Lebanese government’s “full monopoly on weapons”, as well as the withdrawal of the Israeli army from Lebanese territory.




Far-right Israeli minister Ben Gvir says Lebanon deal a 'big mistake'

Published: June 27, 2026 | 18:54 GMT | by AFP


Israel's far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir denounced the US-brokered agreement with Lebanon, saying the Lebanese government could not be trusted to disarm Hezbollah.


"The agreement with Lebanon is a big mistake... Indeed, we are staying in most of the territory for now, but the state of Lebanon will not disarm Hezbollah," he said on his Telegram channel.


"Members of the Lebanese government are Hezbollah ministers, and Lebanon cannot be trusted to take Hezbollah's weapons ... Only IDF soldiers will destroy Hezbollah, no other party will do it for us."




Hezbollah rejects deal with Israel, which expects 'extended stay' in Lebanon

Published: June 27, 2026 | 17:22 GMT | by AFP


Hezbollah leader Naim Qassem on Saturday accused the Lebanese government of surrendering sovereignty in its agreement with Israel and declared the deal null and void, as Israel told its troops to prepare for an "extended stay" in Lebanon.


Qassem called the agreement "humiliating, shameful, and a surrender of sovereignty".


"This agreement is null and void, and the provisions of the Iranian-American memorandum of understanding must be implemented," he said, referring to the deal between the two powers to end the broader Middle East war, which includes a ceasefire in Lebanon.


Qassem accused Lebanese authorities of committing a "grave blunder" and "legitimising the continuation of the (Israeli) occupation for many years," which "may even lead to the annexation of these lands".




Israel defense minister says forces told to prepare for 'extended stay' in Lebanon

Published: June 27, 2026 | 16:39 GMT | by AFP


Israel's defense minister said on Saturday that Israeli forces had been ordered to prepare for an extended stay in the so-called security zone in southern Lebanon, after Israel and Lebanon agreed on a framework to end hostilities.


"The prime minister and I have instructed the IDF to prepare for an extended stay in the security zone," Israel Katz said in a video statement, referring to an area up to 10 kilometres (six miles) inside the Lebanese territory.


"The important principle established in the agreement is that there will be no redeployment by Israel in southern Lebanon, no withdrawal, as long as the terrorist organisation Hezbollah is not disarmed throughout Lebanon," he said.




Israel defense minister says will use 'force' against Iran if it prevents Lebanon deal implementation

Published: June 27, 2026 | 16:29 GMT | by AFP


Israeli defense minister vowed to respond with "great force" if Iran attacked Israel in an attempt to prevent the implementation of an agreement with Lebanon aimed at securing peace between the two countries.


"If Iran tries to attack Israel to prevent the implementation of the agreement, we will act against it with great force," Israel Katz said in a video statement, adding that the agreement with Lebanon had dealt a "strategic blow to the Iranian axis."




UAE condemns alleged Iranian drone attacks on Bahrain

Published: June 27, 2026 | 15:20 GMT | by Web Desk


The UAE’s foreign office said that it “condemned in the strongest terms” the attacks carried out against Bahrain, after reports that drones were launched from Iran.


In a statement on X, the ministry said the attacks constituted a “flagrant violation” of Bahrain’s sovereignty and “a threat to its security and stability.”




Qatar condemns alleged Iranian drone attacks on Bahrain

Published: June 27, 2026 | 14:32 GMT | by Web Desk


The Qatari foreign ministry said that it “strongly condemned” the Iranian attacks on Bahrain, calling them a "blatant violation" of its sovereignty and a "flagrant breach of the rules of international law," in a post on X.


It called for “continuing on the path of dialogue and diplomacy, de-escalation, and building on the gains achieved within the framework of the memorandum of understanding, in a manner that contributes to consolidating security and stability at both the regional and international levels.”




Israeli drone strike hits southern Lebanon day after deal

Published: June 27, 2026 | 13:41 GMT | by Web Desk


An Israeli drone struck the Nabatieh area in southern Lebanon, the country’s state news agency said.


The NNA agency said the Farah amusement park intersection in the Nabatieh al-Fawqa area was hit by the Israeli drone attack.




Oil tanker hit by 'unidentified projectile' in Strait of Hormuz: Maritime agency

Published: June 27, 2026 | 10:41 GMT | by AFP


An oil tanker in the Strait of Hormuz was struck and damaged by an "unidentified projectile", British maritime security agency UKMTO said on Saturday, following the first exchange of fire between the US and Iran since their deal to end the Middle East war.


"The vessel sustained damage to their bridge; all crew are reported safe," UKMTO said, while another British marine security firm, Vanguard Tech, said the vessel was the Panama-flagged tanker KIKU.




Bahrain says targeted by several Iranian drones

Published: June 27, 2026 | 10:30 GMT | by AFP


Bahrain's foreign ministry said Saturday that it had been targeted by several Iranian drones, accusing Tehran of sabotaging peace efforts after the United States and Iran traded strikes for the first time since signing an agreement to end the Middle East war.


The ministry expressed Bahrain's "strongest condemnation of the targeting of its territory at dawn this Saturday by several Iranian drones, in flagrant violation of its sovereignty", saying Iran's attacks were "sabotaging peace efforts".




Iran accuses US of 'blatant violation' of peace deal

Published: June 27, 2026 | 07:45 GMT | by AFP


Iran on Saturday accused the United States of a "blatant violation" of the peace deal reached between the two sides to end the Middle East war after the latest American strikes on the country.


"These brutal attacks, which targeted Iranian coastal surveillance facilities, are a blatant violation" of the memorandum of understanding to end the war, the Iranian foreign ministry said in a statement.


The US military said its forces struck Iranian missile and drone storage sites and coastal radar locations on Friday in response to an Iranian attack on a cargo ship transiting the strategic Strait of Hormuz.




Araghchi thanks Pakistan for facilitating repatriation of Iranian crew members, fishermen  

Published: June 27, 2026 | 05:45 GMT | by Web Desk


Pakistan's Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Senator Mohammad Ishaq Dar spoke to his Iranian counterpart Abbas Araghchi last night, said a post shared by Pakistan's Foreign Ministry on X on Saturday. 


"DPM/FM reaffirmed Pakistan’s commitment to play its constructive role for achieving the goal of lasting peace and stability in the region and beyond," the post said.

"FM Araghchi expressed appreciation for Pakistan’s continued support in advancing the peace process. He also thanked Pakistan for facilitating the safe and smooth repatriation of Iranian crew members and fishermen to their homeland," the post added. 


The two foreign ministers agreed to remain in close contact. 




NIAC urges US, Iran to resolve disputes through diplomacy, not bombs

Published: June 27, 2026 | 04:17 GMT | by Web Desk


The National Iranian American Council, in a post on X on Saturday, said, "The U.S. and Iran have started a diplomatic process and should use diplomatic channels to raise disputes, not bombs."

"We urge all parties to utilize the executive mechanism envisioned in the memorandum to monitor implementation of the MoU. Any fraying of the accord risks unraveling the whole deal, returning the U.S. and Iran to war," it warned. 




Rubio hails US, Lebanon, Israel trilateral framework, as Washington, Tehran trade strikes 

Published: June 27, 2026 | 00:00 GMT | by Web Desk


US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said that the signing ceremony of the trilateral framework between Lebanon, Israel and the United States was the “beginning of the beginning,” adding that there was a “lot of work ahead."


Lebanon's ambassador to Washington, Nada Hamadeh Moawad, said the accord "is a first step on the road to restoring Lebanese sovereignty and territorial integrity, securing a permanent and final cessation of hostilities (and) enabling our people to go back to their land."


Rubio meanwhile said in a statement that the agreement establishes a "clear and structured process" to disarm Hezbollah and its infrastructure, as well as a US-facilitated military working group to help implement the deal.


Separately, the United States and Iran traded military strikes after Washington accused Tehran of attacking a cargo ship, jeopardizing a ceasefire as diplomats tried to contain the Middle East war.


US Central Command said the American strikes, against Iranian missile and drone storage sites and coastal radar positions, were a response to "unwarranted aggression against commercial shipping by Iranian forces" that "clearly violated the ceasefire."


Iranian state television, citing a reporter in Sirik, said an explosion was heard at Taherouyeh pier in the southern port city. It quoted an informed military source as saying the blast was caused by a projectile impact in the area.




For earlier developments, read our June 26 live blog here.