.jpg)
US Vice President JD Vance takes questions from the press during a press briefing in the Brady Briefing Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
This live blog followed the latest developments across the Middle East crisis, including regional diplomacy, maritime security, ceasefire negotiations and economic fallout.
Catch up: Yesterday’s top developments
Pakistan at UN strongly condemns drone attack on UAE nuclear power plant
Published: May 20, 2026 | 01:25 GMT | by Web Desk
Pakistan’s Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador Asim Iftikhar Ahmad strongly condemned the drone attacks on the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia.
While speaking to the UN, he said that Pakistan stood in “complete solidarity” with the middle eastern country, reiterating its full support for the sovereignty and territorial integrity of all friendly countries of the region.
He also said that the attack on Saudi Arabia constituted a serious violation of Kingdom’s sovereignty, and territorial integrity.
UN nuclear chief warns Security Council of ‘grave’ risks after UAE plant attack
Published: May 19, 2026 | 23:01GMT | by Web Desk
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) chief Rafael Grossi has briefed the UN Security Council on the situation at the UAE’s Barakah nuclear power plant following Sunday’s drone strike, Al Jazeera reported
“While radiation levels remain normal and offsite power has been restored, the situation is of grave concern”, Grossi wrote on X after the briefing.
He said he told the Security Council that “attacks against nuclear facilities devoted to peaceful purposes are unacceptable and carry undeniable risks for people and the environment”.
Grossi said he was in contact with leaders across the Gulf region, and confirmed that the IAEA would continue doing everything within its mandate to help ensure nuclear safety and support efforts towards a diplomatic path forward.
He also said he would travel to the Gulf soon.
US resident released from Iranian prison, returns home: rights group
Published: May 19, 2026 | 22:33 GMT | by AFP
An Iranian citizen who holds permanent residency in the United States has been released from prison in Iran and has returned to the US, a rights group said, according to Al Jazeera.
"Shahab Dalili, an Iranian citizen and US permanent resident who had been imprisoned in Evin Prison, was released after serving 10 years in prison. Following his release, he returned to the United States," the Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) said, in a statement.
It said the man, who was sentenced for allegedly "cooperating with a hostile government," travelled after his release from Iran to the Armenian capital Yerevan before returning to Washington "where he is now safe and reunited with his family." It did not specify the date of his return.
UN Security Council condemns attack on UAE nuclear plant
Published: May 19, 2026 | 22:05 GMT | by AFP
Russia joined other UN Security Council members on Tuesday to condemn the drone strike on the UAE's Barakah nuclear power plant, which Abu Dhabi said originated from Iraq where pro-Iranian proxies are active.
The unclaimed drone struck an electrical generator on Sunday near the Arab world's first nuclear power plant in Barakah in the emirate of Abu Dhabi, triggering a fire but causing no injuries nor radiation leak.
"Attacks targeting peaceful nuclear facilities in any country of the world...are categorically unacceptable," said Russia's ambassador to the UN Vassily Nebenzya.
"Against this backdrop, our country categorically condemns the actions of those who carried out the strike targeting the plant on the territory of the UAE, thereby generating risks of escalation," he continued without naming any party.
"We trust that all stakeholders will do everything necessary to avoid a recurrence of such a dangerous incident," he added, noting that the strike likely would not have happened without the US-Israeli operation against Iran, Moscow's long-standing ally.
US again avoids taking responsibility for Iran school attack
Published: May 19, 2026 | 21:56 GMT | by Web Desk
A top commander of US forces in the Middle East avoided taking responsibility for an attack on a school in Iran that killed about 170 people, mostly schoolchildren, on day one of the war insisting a “complex” probe continues, Al Jazeera reported.
Admiral Brad Cooper, commander of US Central Command, told a congressional oversight panel “the school itself is located on an active IRGC cruise missile base,” making the investigation “more complex than the average strike”. IRGC stands for Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
The attack killed 73 boys, 47 girls, 26 teachers, seven parents, a school bus driver, and another adult in the southern city of Minab on February 28. The United States has repeatedly avoided assuming responsibility for the tragedy.
Cooper was responding to questioning by House Armed Services Committee Ranking Member Adam Smith, who said “in the past, when we’ve had these types of mistakes, they have been quickly acknowledged, even if a further investigation is necessary”.
Cooper promised to share the results of the investigation when it was complete. Smith responded by saying, “So that’s a ‘no.’ We will not take responsibility for something we very obviously did.”
Lebanon says Israeli strike kills 10
Published: May 19, 2026 | 21:33 GMT | by AFP
An Israeli strike on south Lebanon killed at least 10 people, including three women and three children, the health ministry said, despite a ceasefire in the Israel-Hezbollah war.
"An Israeli airstrike on the town of Deir Qanun al-Nahr in the Tyre district resulted in an initial toll of 10 martyrs, including three children and three women, in addition to three wounded, including a child", the ministry said in a statement, calling it a "massacre."
Palestinian foreign ministry slams Israel’s flotilla interception as war crime
Published: May 19, 2026 |19:23 GMT | by Web Desk
The Palestinian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates has strongly condemned Israel for intercepting aid ships bound for the Gaza Strip, saying it amounts to “a new crime aimed at covering up Israeli crimes of genocide [and] starvation” in the coastal enclave, Al Jazeera reported.
“The Ministry views this aggression as complete piracy and a grave violation of the rules of international law,” it said in a statement.
It also raised concerns about the treatment of flotilla participants taken into Israeli custody after the ships were intercepted.
The ministry urged the international community, including the UN and the European Union, to impose immediate sanctions on Israel “for committing crimes in international waters” and pressure the country to end its siege on Gaza.
Iran talks making 'good progress': US VP Vance
Published: May 19, 2026 |18:49 GMT | by AFP
US Vice President JD Vance said Tuesday that Iran talks are making good progress but Washington was "locked and loaded" to restart military operations if there is no deal.
"A lot of good progress is being made, but we're just going to keep on working at it, and eventually we'll either hit a deal or we won't," Vance told a briefing at the White House.
"We're in a pretty good spot here -- but there's an option B, and the option B is that we could restart the military campaign," said the US vice president.
Iran stock exchange reopens after war forced longest-ever shutdown
Published: May 19, 2026 |13:19 GMT | by AFP
Iran reopened its stock exchange on Tuesday after the longest shutdown in its history, caused by the Middle East War, local media reported.
"After nearly 80 days ... the Tehran Stock Exchange reopened this morning," the economic daily Donya-e-Eqtesad reported.
Trading had been suspended since the start of the war on February 28, when Israeli and US strikes on Iran triggered retaliatory missile and drone attacks by Tehran across the region.
The market remained closed even after a fragile ceasefire took effect on April 8.
Unlike major global exchanges, Iran's stock market operates largely outside the international financial system due to decades of sanctions and restrictions on foreign investment.
The official IRNA news agency said trading in shares in more than 40 companies affected by war – including firms in the chemical and metal sectors – "will remain suspended for the time being".
EU looks to tackle fertilizer price spike due to Middle East War
Published: May 19, 2026 | 10:33 GMT | by AFP
The European Union will release emergency funds to help farmers deal with soaring fertilizer costs caused by the Middle East War, under plans to support the sector to be unveiled Tuesday.
Brussels has been under pressure to take action to blunt the impact of the Middle East crisis on agriculture, as the spike in fertilizer prices risks pushing up food costs across the bloc.
About a third of fertilizers shipped by sea reach the global market through the Strait of Hormuz, which has been effectively closed by the US-Israeli war on Iran.
In Europe, the price of nitrogen fertilizers, which are derived from gas, has risen to about 500 euros ($581) a ton from 380 euros last winter.
It was a one-two punch for farmers already facing higher costs because of the war in Ukraine.
Brussels has imposed high tariffs on fertilizers from Russia, a major producer, and plans to end imports entirely by 2028 in a bid to hit Moscow's war coffers over its war against Ukraine.
As a first measure, EU agriculture commissioner Christophe Hansen told French media that Brussels would disburse what is left in the bloc's agriculture crisis reserve, around 200 million euros.
The European Commission is also looking to diversify supply sources and increase local production.
It could relax rules to allow farmers to make more use of digestate, a nitrogen-rich byproduct of biogas, in a move that has environmental groups worried over water pollution concerns.
But Brussels has ruled out a pause in the application of the EU's carbon border tax on fertilizers.
Qatar says US-Iran negotiations need 'more time'
Published: May 19, 2026 | 11:17 GMT | by AFP
Qatar said on Tuesday that US-Iran negotiations, mediated by Pakistan, required more time to reach a deal, a day after President Donald Trump said he had postponed planned attacks to give the process a chance.
"We are supportive of the diplomatic effort by Pakistan that has shown seriousness in bringing parties together and finding a solution, and we do believe it needs more time," Qatari foreign ministry spokesman Majed al-Ansari said at a press conference.
Trump, who had indefinitely extended the truce and made clear he wanted to exit a war that has proved to be politically damaging, said on Monday he had prepared a new military attack for the following day after Iran rejected his outlines of a deal.
But on Monday, Trump said on social media that he had suspended the attack after the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates asked him to give negotiations a chance.
"We want to protect the people of the region from being basically the main losers of any escalation in the region," al-Ansari said.
Netanyahu's trial testimony ends early for security matters
Published: May 19, 2026 | 10:30 GMT | by Web Desk
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's court appearance in his criminal trial was cut short by several hours due to alleged “security and diplomatic obligations,” The Times of Israel claimed on Tuesday.
The judges announced the abbreviated session following a closed-door meeting in their chambers, the outlet reported.
The truncated hearing represents the latest in a recurring pattern of canceled or shortened sessions for Netanyahu's cross-examination by prosecutors.
Drone strike wounds two in Southern Lebanon town
Published: May 19, 2026 | 10:19 GMT | by Web Desk
An Israeli unmanned drone struck a vehicle in Harouf, a town in southern Lebanon's Nabatieh District, leaving two people injured, Lebanon's state media National News Agency reported.
The attack targeted the parked car positioned near a municipal building, the agency reported.
One of the wounded, a municipal employee, was reported stable. The second victim was in critical condition at the time of the strike, having been engaged in a community bread distribution effort when the attack occurred.
Oil markets slide on Trump's pause in Iran military plans
Published: May 19, 2026 | 9:53 GMT | by Web Desk
Crude oil retreated across global markets after Trump announced he would delay a military operation against Iran in favor of talks to resolve the ongoing conflict.
Brent crude for July settlement lost $1.73 per barrel, closing at $110.37. Meanwhile, US benchmark crude also weakened. The June contract fell to $108.03 per barrel, down 0.6%.
Israel military issues fresh evacuation warnings for south Lebanon
Published: May 19, 2026 | 10:05 GMT | by AFP
The Israeli military on Tuesday warned residents of 12 towns and villages in southern Lebanon to immediately evacuate ahead of expected attacks against Hezbollah, the latest despite a ceasefire.
"The IDF does not intend to harm you. For your safety, we urge you to distance yourself from the area and immediately move at least 1,000 meters away," the military's Arabic-language spokesman Avichay Adraee posted on X.
EU denounces new US waiver of Russian oil sanctions
Published: May 19, 2026 | 9:18 GMT | by AFP
The European Union criticized Tuesday the latest US waiver of sanctions on Russian oil, announced while G7 finance ministers were meeting to reach a common response to multiple economic challenges.
Washington's move aims to help lower energy prices that have skyrocketed since the US and Israel launched attacks on Iran in February, effectively shutting the Strait of Hormuz to Gulf oil tanker traffic.
But EU economics commissioner Valdis Dombrovskis denounced the extensions, which have given Moscow a financial boost as it pursues its war against Ukraine.
"From the EU point of view, we do not think that this is a time to ease pressure on Russia," Dombrovskis told journalists while arriving for a second day of G7 talks in Paris.
"In fact, Russia is the one which is gaining from the war in Iran and the increase in fossil fuel prices," he said. "If anything, we would need to strengthen the pressure."
Iran won't surrender rights in negotiations: President
Published: May 19, 2026 | 8:32 GMT | by Web Desk
President Masoud Pezeshkian said that Iran will not surrender its rights in ongoing diplomatic talks and that the nation will enter negotiations from a position of strength, the country’s state media IRNA reported Tuesday.
“Dialogue does not mean capitulation,” Pezeshkian said in a social media post. He stated that Iran will protect its people's interests and national dignity while pursuing talks.
The Iranian president said that his country will not retreat from what it considers its legitimate rights, according to IRNA.
Israeli warplanes strike Lebanon border towns
Published: May 19, 2026 | 7:22 GMT | by Web Desk
Israeli warplanes struck multiple targets across southern Lebanon on Tuesday, according to the Lebanon’s state media, National News Agency (NNA).
The strikes hit the Rayhan heights in the Jezzine area during daylight hours, NNA reported. Overnight operations followed, targeting the town of Kfara and surrounding areas in Bint Jbeil district.
Additional strikes struck the outskirts of Kfardounine toward Deir Kifa and a house on the main road in Kfara.
Israeli artillery also shelled the Arid Dbine area in Marjayoun district.
UK unemployment rises as Mideast war hits jobs market
Published: May 19, 2026 | 7:19 GMT | by AFP
Britain's unemployment rate edged up to 5% in the first quarter of 2026, official data showed Tuesday, as the economic fallout from the Middle East war began to bite.
It was a slight increase from the 4.9% jobless rate seen in the three months to the end-February, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.
Official figures last week showed that Britain's economy expanded 0.6% in the first quarter. But the war in the Middle East, with its effective closure of the Strait of Hormuz, has sent energy prices soaring, threatening to weigh on economic growth.
The ONS said wage growth slowed to 3.4% in the three months through March.
Israeli warplanes strike Lebanon border towns
Published: May 19, 2026 | 7:22 GMT | by Web Desk
Israeli warplanes struck multiple targets across southern Lebanon on Tuesday, according to the Lebanon’s state media, National News Agency (NNA).
The strikes hit the Rayhan heights in the Jezzine area during daylight hours, NNA reported. Overnight operations followed, targeting the town of Kfara and surrounding areas in Bint Jbeil district. Additional strikes struck the outskirts of Kfardounine toward Deir Kifa and a house on the main road in Kfara.
Israeli artillery also shelled the Arid Dbine area in Marjayoun district.
Israeli forces raid Ramallah, el-Bireh in occupied West Bank
Published: May 18, 2026 | 23:12 GMT | by Web Desk
The Wafa news agency reports that Israeli forces have stormed several areas in the Ramallah and el-Bireh governorate in the occupied West Bank.
The forces entered the northern villages of al-Mughayyir and Abu Falah on Monday evening, with confrontations breaking out in al-Mughayyir, during which Israeli forces fired toxic gas canisters, according to the Wafa report.
Hezbollah claims attacks on Israeli army in southern Lebanon
Published: May 18, 2026 | 22:26 GMT | by Web Desk
The Lebanese armed group has said that its forces targeted Israeli soldiers in the town of Rashaf with drones, Al Jazeera reported
Hezbollah said in a post on Telegram that the attack was in retaliation for deadly Israeli attacks on villages in southern Lebanon.
There was no immediate comment from the Israeli army.
As we’ve been reporting, the death toll from Israeli attacks on Lebanon since March 2 has now passed 3,000, according to the Lebanese Health Ministry.
Pezeshkian says entering dialogue with US does not mean surrender
Published: May 18, 2026 | 21:44 GMT | by Web Desk
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said that entering dialogue with the US does not mean surrender, adding that they would carry out dialogue with “dignity, authority, and the preservation of the nation's rights.”
In a post on X, he said that under no circumstances would Iran retreat from the “legal rights of the people and the country,” adding that the government would serve the people with logic and safeguard the interests and honor of Iran.
Iran warns US and allies against ‘strategic miscalculation’: Report
Published: May 18, 2026 | 22:15 GMT | by Web Desk
Iran’s Tasnim news agency reports that the commander of the Khatam al-Anbiya Central Headquarters, Major General Ali Abdollahi, warns the US and its allies not to commit another “strategic mistake or miscalculation.”
The commander said that the country’s armed forces were more prepared and stronger than in the past, with their hands on the trigger to respond to any renewed aggression.
He noted that “US and Zionist forces have repeatedly tested Iran’s resolve” to no avail, and warned that any further mistakes would face a response far more powerful than previous military confrontations, according to Tasnim.
Trump says 'very positive development' in Iran talks
Published: May 18, 2026 | 22:00 GMT | by AFP
US President Donald Trump touted a "very positive development" in talks with Iran, which convinced him to postpone a planned military attack on the Islamic republic.
Trump said allies in the Middle East told him "they are getting very close to making a deal" that would leave Iran without nuclear weapons.
"It's a very positive development, but we'll see whether or not it amounts to anything," Trump said during a White House event.
AN HOUR AGO
.jpg)
AN HOUR AGO
.jpg)
7 MINUTES AGO
.jpg)
3 HOURS AGO
.jpg)
7 HOURS AGO
.jpg)