JERICHO: Three Italians and a Canadian were treated at a Jericho hospital on Sunday after being attacked by settlers in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, one of the group told AFP.
The Palestinian official news agency Wafa described them as "international activists".
In Rome, the foreign ministry said in a statement that "three Italian international volunteers were attacked last night by Israeli settlers", adding that they were "still in shock from the incident".
Riyad Eid, director of the Jericho government hospital, told AFP: "Four foreigners arrived at the hospital this morning after being beaten by settlers, according to what they reported.
"They were suffering from bruises on the face for some of them, and on the chest, and one of them was beaten in a sensitive area.
"They were examined, given X-rays and ultrasound scans, provided with the necessary treatment and then discharged."
More than 500,000 Israelis currently live in settlements in the West Bank, occupied since 1967, as do around three million Palestinians.
Violence in the West Bank has soared since the Hamas attack on Israel triggered the Gaza war in October 2023.
The United Nations said that October had been the worst month for settler violence since it began recording incidents in 2006, with 264 attacks that caused casualties or property damage.
One of the four, who had visible bruising and did not wish to be identified, told AFP that they were three people from Italy and one from Canada, staying in the Duyuk area on the western edge of Jericho in the central West Bank.
"We were asleep at night... 10 masked settlers came; two of them had guns, some of them had sticks," they said.
"They kicked me multiple times in the face, in the ribs, in the hip.
"It lasted about 10 to 15 minutes. And then they took all of our things. They stole my passport, my phone, my wallet, my bank cards, and then they left.
"We had to have X-rays, painkillers. Our friend was beaten more severely than we were."
Italy's foreign ministry also said in its statement that "the settlers reportedly entered their home, attacked the volunteers, and stole all their personal belongings".
Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani "is following the incident", in close contact with Italy's consul general in Jerusalem, the statement said.